Thursday, June 24, 2010

making space

thirty spokes share the wheel's hub;
it is the center hole that makes it useful.
shape clay into a vessel;
it is the space within that makes it useful.
cut doors and windows for a room;
it is the holes which make it useful.
therefore profit comes from what is there;
usefulness from what is not there. (Lao Tzu)

I came across this piece from Lao Tzu a couple of months ago as I read Heidi Neumark's Breathing Space. It speaks to the notion that when we empty ourselves of ourselves, we are able to better be used by God for God's mission in the world. Paul reflects upon a similar sentiment in his second letter to the Corinthians: But we have this treasure in clay jars so that it may be made clear that this extraordinary power belongs to God and does not come from us. We are fragile vessels. When we are emptied of our selfish concerns, we can be filled with the ministry that God has for us-and this is our strength, this fortifies our otherwise fragile walls so we can be God's people in the world. This has been an especially helpful reflection for summer CPE. I realize that I bring all of my concerns, prejudices, joys, and sorrows into every patient's room I enter. I am very full of things that can get in the way of really existing with and for the patients. Yet, it is my calling to be empty of myself so I can be filled again with the gospel, which enables me to focus wholly on the patient. For me, this emptying comes about through prayer and meditation. Through these, I feel empowered to focus my thoughts outside of myself. When I am emptied of myself, I can better live in to my calling.

shape clay into a vessel;
it is the center hole that makes it useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment